CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 15

How to Conquer Clutter

I've been wanting to get rid of stuff in our home which we don't use anymore. The old school bags and shoes I gave to our laundrywoman. She even asked for used socks which my kids aren't wearing anymore (gave her toys also, without telling my kids). I don't know what to do with my rice cookers (3 of them), thermos, cordless phones, electric fans and the electric mosquito repellers (3) which are not functioning anymore. Plus the 2 computer monitors, 1 cpu, 1 old printer. I still have Nicole's crib, which I don't want to dispose of because of sentimental reasons (while Gabbie's crib I gave to a friend, the strollers, playpen and walkers I gave away to my cousins). The cabinets are full, where I store christmas decors, toys, kitchenwares, my paperweight collections, old letters/bills/receipts/manuals and office papers. Now, there are lots of school notebooks, projects, exam papers in my kids bedroom (I put them inside a box) and more books (they've used last year). Im thinking of giving away or selling the stuff that I don't need anymore but the books, I keep. They come in handy for projects and homeworks. Good thing Nestle Club just send me an email on this topic. I'm again re-printing and posting it here.
How to Conquer Clutter

As time goes by, we tend to accumulate a lot of clutter in our homes. Many times, dealing with clutter can be overwhelming.

Start small. Tackle the most urgent clutter- usually the bills, letters, and mail. Set aside an hour each day and go drawer by drawer.

Focus on one area at a time. Toss items that belong somewhere else into a box and return them to the correct place later on. This way, you can finish one area at a time and not get distracted with clutter that belongs to another area of the house.

Give yourself a target date to finish an area. For example, a kitchen could take up to 3 days. Break up the big task into daily tasks to make it more manageable.

Think logically. Items used daily should be easily accessible. Bed linen can be stored under the bed. Towels can be stored in overhead cabinets in the bathroom. Rarely used items like Christmas décor should be stored up high, in not-so-easy to reach places.

Sort by type and label. Have different boxes and sort out things by type. Label them so it is easier to remember where you stored the item. If you haven’t used certain items in years, maybe it’s time to give them away.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaaahhhh! iisa lang ang iniisip natin! my house is full of clutter and it's come to the point where the best way to deal with it is to get rid of it. di ko lang alam san idi-dispatsa itong mga to!

Abaniko said...

I badly need the tips. Thanks. My room is such a mess.And I've been wanting to declutter this small space for months now. Hehe.

Wenchie said...

hi cess, either you give them away or sell to the the nearest junk shop. that's what I did. buti the shop can pick up my junks. he he

hi abaniko, thanks for visiting my site. cge, go and fix your mess na. before they add up pa.

Heart of Rachel said...

Thanks for these wonderful tips. De-cluttering can certainly be a wonderful form of catharsis. I like doing it as much as I can but I tend to accumulate new ones. haha!

Gina said...

Buti nalang may pagkaOC itong asawa ko =) Walang masyadong clutter dito sa apartment namin . Laging tapon kaagad ang gusto- like with magazines , after basa, he doesn't like it when it piles up. Eh ,ako naman, i sometimes like going back to them again,esp. kung hollywood showbiz tsismis. (oo,minsan, may pagkatsismosa ako) =P

Anyway, oh,yes, no problem ako when it comes to clutter...

Anonymous said...

when I moved to my new home , i realized that 1/3 of my stuff was useless including the TV that was never used, the fans, those junk just waiting to be fixed. I sold all of them. I am so much happier without the junk. Less stress.

Wenchie said...

hi gina, same here about the mags, not the hubby (being oc) though. i keep glossy mags for future reference and yes, even showbiz magazines. di ba, ok pag updated tayo in all things. he he

hi noemi, thanks for visiting my humble site. i'm thinking the same, selling them. i never got the time to have them fixed.

Wenchie said...

hi rachel,you're welcome. pareho tayo, I get rid of my useless stuff and add up new ones. he he

Anonymous said...

my mom would also give some of our old stuff to the laundrywoman. these tips are great.

Wenchie said...

hi evi, thanks for the visit. some of the things we consider useless are actually useful to others.