CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 16

Spice Up Your Family Get-togethers

This is another helpful tips on family get-togethers from the Nestle Club website. Have your family reunions become ‘more-of-the-same’? Filled with awkward silences? Relatives not having fun? Here are some ways to avoid all that and make your family reunion the most awaited event of the year!

Set up a planning committee. Keep things organized to avoid frantic calls, hassles, etc… Get several families involved by having them form committees to help you out for the invitations, food, entertainment, transportation, and don’t forget the cleanup after.

Make sure that the details are addressed — can Lola make it and who will drive her to and fro? Is anyone allergic to certain types of food? What fun games can we play this year? Involve everyone. Don’t be a dictator! Ask your relatives what they want to do, or where they want to go. You can even make your own Email Group where the young ones can design, log on to anytime, anywhere and keep the older adults (not comfortable with the internet) informed. Give your Email Group a fun name, like “Barangay Caparas”. When they have all agreed, only then can you start planning all the nitty-gritty details. For relatives who don’t surf the Internet, you can call, text, and even send them letters for a more personal touch!

Have a budget. Have all your relatives pitch in a little something. This makes them involved and consequently, more eager to attend! If this year’s reunion is going to be all out bongga, then see if a bank account will help you manage all the expenses involved. Keep in mind what you may need to rent — the venue, equipment, transportation, and even party favors! If it is a simple get together, then there is still a need to budget your expenses because everyone should naturally chip in for the cost of the celebration.

Set the date. Be sure that everyone will be available on the date of your family reunion. The earlier you decide on a date, the more relatives will be able to come! Also, this gives everyone a chance to calendar the event and plan ahead—whether to lose just a bit more weight for the annual family photograph, or to get all work and projects done so they can relax and enjoy without having to rush off somewhere.

Form a clean-up crew. To keep things tidy at all times, a clean up crew is needed. The games, the gifts, the paper plates — these are things that will need much cleaning even during the party, not to mention after. Make sure there are garbage bins close by. Your cleanup crew should empty these bins regularly to make the job easier later on.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

naalala ko lang ang mama ko, ayaw na ayaw na ang mga grand family reunions namin would be held in their house. kasi ang hirap maglinis :)

btw, magtwitter ka na rin :)

Wenchie said...

Hi Cess, yan din reklamo mom ko pag sa house namin reunion. Kaya she opted to hire a caterer before. La ng problem with ligpitan ng kalat, he he. I'll check twitter, whatever it is...

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Rowena. My mom loved entertaining even though we had a small house. She was always a good host. As for me, that's something I still have to work on. I'd rather attend one than host a big gathering at home.

Yes, I agree with Cess, mag twitter ka na din for faster updates.

Anonymous said...

Nice tips. We have a small clan so it's not so difficult to keep in touch and have a reunion. Most of them are living abroad anyway.

ScroochChronicles said...

Buti na lang we have a small family kaya it's so easy to plan ge-togethers. Sometimes nga it's easier na lang for us to just go out tutal konti lang kami. Kung sa house naman, basta disposable lahat para tapon na lang at wala ng hugas. Tatamad no :)

Forever59er said...

This is sooooo cooool, Rowena. And timely .. time na to plan the reunion parties di ba.. lapit na 'ber months.'

Last year, I decided I had enough of family gettogethers of just eating and giftgiving and then the ladies settle with kwentuhan and the men with drinking and the youngsters with videoke singing.

So, I formed a committee to take care of games, another of prizes,another of food, etc. I twisted arms for a 'grand prize' of cash money, including $100 dollars from a returning balikbayan nephew which by the way my daughter won amidst cries of "fixed, fixed!!"

Omg, we had such a rollicking time. We had this classic game between couples .. where you ask them separately questions on where they met, the reason for their first major fight, the first gift one gave to the other, etc. Everyone agreed it was the most fun we ever had.

Ngayon pa lang I am preparing na the prizes for this year's bash. Hmmm saan kaya makahingi ng donation? hehe

Napahaba. Si Rowena kasi eh.

Wenchie said...

Hi Rachel, the same pala kami mom mo, I always want to host family reunions here at home. And yes, I'll try to use twitter. Thanks for the advise.

Hi Ladybug, good for you then to arrange family gatherings when you have a small clan, mine is a big one same with hubby's.

Hi Cookie, same here I use disposable stuff during parties here at home. Kawawa naman mga helpers if they gonna wash the dishes of about one barangay (in my case). he he

Hi Annamanila, wow $100 as prize, sarap pala mag-attend to your family reunion. Mag gate-crash nga ako sa inyo next time. He he. Aliw ako sa kwento mo. Years ago, I had a raffle for my aunts/uncles, I gave away small appliances. For my cousins, I gave pang-shopping. And you bet, they enjoyed the reunion to the max. Now, can't do that anymore, hirap na ng buhay. LOL

SASSY MOM said...

This is a very helpful tip. This will go to my hubby's family. Their family is soo big unlike mine.

Wenchie said...

Hi Salen, I'm sure ang saya ng reunion nyo kasi malaki clan ni hubby.

raqgold said...

great tips -- will ask my sisters and bro to form a clean up crew, hehe. btw, you're tagged!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rowena. the clean up crew is a good tip. Will keep that in mind for the next family reunion... With my nieces and nephew growing older each year, this committee won't be hard to form!

Wenchie said...

Hi Chats, glad you like this post. Now that you've mentioned about your nieces and nephew to be the clean up crew on your next gathering, I'll probably do the same.

Anonymous said...

it's a lot easier to hold a party in the philippines than here. when i had my son's 5th birthday there, it was a breeze even when I had to transact business over the internet. It was easy to find someone to do this and that. But here, I have to do a lot of googling and interrogating people before I can actually find one. Sometimes, there's none. Almost everything is do-it-yourself here.

anyway, the tips you have here are very helpful. I personally prefer to have ample time to prepare a party. I hate last-minute planning. if it's a reunion, i don't mind forming teams but if it's a birthday celebration of my son for example, i want to do it alone because i love to surprise my guests which will of course include family members.

Wenchie said...

Hi Evi, yeah it's easier to arrange a party here in Manila. Everything is a phone call away, from the party place, the cake, the video guy, clowns & magicians, caterers and even some party stuff. Like you, I also love to surprise my guests so I personally pick up the stuff for the give-aways. I just remember, my 3 kids will be having their birthdays on October, naku, have to prepare na din pala. he he

Wenchie said...

Hi Racquel, thanks. I'll do the tag soon.

Anonymous said...

we have been having a reunion on the my husband's side and so far, they haven't included us in the committee. i usually send my two daughters to help serve and clean up. i help, too.

nice tips, rowena.

Wenchie said...

Hi Belle, thanks. I'm sure you always have fun on your reunions.