CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 28

When Helpers Come and Go

Today, I woke up early (5:00 a.m.) for I have to attend to Nicole who goes to school at 7 a.m.. Our oldie helper (as I have described in my previous post) has told me last night that she is leaving. Prior to that, she's been watching tv from wowowee til deal or no deal. This is her daily ritual. Can you just imagine how many hours she's been wasting when she has lots of work to do at home. Hubby was the one who cooked for dinner. Asked her to iron the clothes in the hamper. She didn't moved from her seat. She even has the habit of putting her feet on the sofa (naka-de quatro pa), wearing only her duster. I reprimanded her so many times not to do that. She's so stubborn. When Pio saw me being mad again, he went down, switch off the tv and brought the remote control in our room. That's when Manang got up and called us for dinner. While eating, she's frowning and told me she's leaving. I told her it's ok with me. At last, I don't need to tell her that. I've been thinking of asking her to leave, but I pity her, baka wala ng malipatan because of her age (hubby still thinks she's 60+). Anyway, paid her remaining salary, checked her bag which I don' t usually do, but hubby's .45 caliber gun is missing. It's not in there. Maybe it was just misplaced in the car. Finally, I let her go.
I have so many helpers who come, work and go.... Some I even helped transfer to a better job like in restaurants, canteen, fastfood chains or in shopping malls where they can earn more especially the ones who are high school graduates (few are even college graduates). I even suggested for them to enroll in TESDA for short vocational courses. Some of my kids' nannies have left to get married, others to attend to their own family or went back home to finish school.
I've lost count of the helpers/maids who have worked for me since year 2000. The year I moved in my husband's family home.
My first staff (3 of them are siblings) are from Lanao del Norte. They are so "masipag". They helped each other, walang inggitan sa trabaho. One has become so attached to my child, Gabbie, when she's still a baby, she doesn't want to eat unless the baby is truly asleep. Aileen is really reliable. When the other helper (Jing) became sick, I let her rest and employed another one. Nene (Jing's sis) is an all around help, she has a boyfriend who asked her to live with him. So Nene became a stay-out maid. But this guy would often appear at home and fetch her even when the work's not done yet especially during payday. Aileen, Jing and Naneth (their cousin) are the ones left with me. Eventually, have to let go of Nene (who changes boyfriends as often as she changes her nail polish). But she would come back and work again for me. The siblings left when hubby discovered that the new one cannot be trusted with money. Gabbie's nanny left also because she has to go with her cousin. She came back after a month. She said she missed Gabbie. When Gabbie turned 2, she got sick and has to rest, she left for the province. She would come and visit us when she's on a day off. Heard she's now working in a computer shop in Manila.
Manang Josie was referred by a neighbor. She's around 40, been married, have kids and separated from husband (who cheated on her). During our chats (I make it a habit to know all their background including sad stories), she confided that when she her child died (of meningitis)and husband cheated on her (she even make a big scandal in her hubby's workplace at Burgundy condo), she attempted to kill herself. Before she can plunge the knife in her stomach, her 6 month old- baby cries. That cry saved her from killing herself. My golly, when I heard her story, asked all my kids to sleep in our room. Our helpers sometimes sleep in my kids' room (with their own bed). Told my hubby about it and instructed me to let her go. Ako naman naawa, di ko masabi. When she had her day off, she's supposed to visit her kids (who lives with a relative). She never came back, her daughter called that she was hit by a jeepney just outside our village. Called the nearest hospital, she was sent to East Avenue Hospital. I checked the operator of the vehicle at LTFRB but the plate number that the guard has, doesn't belong to a puv. Her children came to the house, took her things, I gave them money for her meds. I heard she's ok after the accident. She opted to just stay with her kids. There goes her sad story...
Gigi is from Butuan. She's been working as a maid in the province to support her high school studies. She walks 2 hours a day to go to school and fetch water on her way back home, their place has no running water yet. Her sister, Lourdes works for me as stay-out maid. When Gigi arrived in Manila, she was employed (also in QC) as store helper and an all around help in the house at the same time. She sleeps near the bathroom, on the cold floor without a mat, beside the family's dog. Her employer gave her minimal food to eat. Lourdes pleaded that I hire her sister and pay the employer the transportation fare that they have paid for her. So I did. She became Bea's nanny. Lourdes stopped working when I found out she's been getting canned goods from the kitchen everytime she would go home at night. She also took home some bedsheets and hubby's jacket. Nicole once told me that all our stay-out helpers brought some goods & rice when they go back home. I didn't notice it, never checked the cabinet, much less count them. We have so many staff then aside from the maids, we also have the drivers and some bodyguards (hubby needs them before) plus the occasional visits of hubby's former classmates. I presume the canned goods have been consumed by them aside from the food we eat daily. Gigi eventually left and transferred to a car shop in Banawe. Told her there's no problem with me as long as the job can uplift more her family's condition in the province. She's also supporting Lourdes and her family. A very good sister indeed...
So many helpers (from Cagayan, Cebu, Leyte, Bicol, Cotabato, Kalinga, Ilocos, Iloilo, Pampanga, Batangas, Baguio, Iligan) come and go. I lost contact with the others. Hope they have much better lives now.
I often wonder when can I have a helper who would stay with me for years. I'm not a bad employer I believe. I even bought them new shoes, clothes, vitamins, plus cellphone loads. Even gave them my kids' toys & clothes to send for their siblings or children in the province. Allow them weekly day offs. Plus bonuses every year. They even sleep in an airconditioned room and have time for siesta. My mom would tell me, "ang bait mo kasi kaya minsan inaabuso ka na". What can I do, eh ganun talaga ako sa kapwa ko...Hay sana lang me mabait din at masipag na helper magtagal samen....

17 comments:

Christina said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog.
Just read this entry, and yes, helpers can either be a boon or bane to us. I hope that one day, you will find one who can truly 'help' you with your mommy duties.

chuching said...

hi rowena! syempre i read all your posts! konti lang naman since you started blogging last may lang. welcome to the blogging world by the way! :) ang thanks for visiting my blog :)

fortunately, we never had this problem about maids. as far as i'm concerned, we only had 3 maids ever since i was young. one left because she got married, the second one pinalis ng mom ko kasi kinukurot ako and the third one, our ate gemma is still with us. she's been with us for i think 22yrs na ata. i can't imagine having another maid! she's part of the family and sobrang mapagkakatiwalaan mo with money and everything.

i'm sure in your case, may dadating din na mabait and who will stay with you. i guess suertihan lang din :)

Wenchie said...

hi tina, thanks for visiting this blog. hope i'll find someone soon.

hi gracita, thanks for the visit and i'm honored that you've read all my posts. bear with me ha, am a frustrated writer kasi. he he you're lucky with your house helpers. it's hard to find one these days that would stay that long with an employer esp. the younger ones na puro lakwatsa gusto.

Anonymous said...

Your experience reminds me so much of my sister's experience with her household helpers. I'm sure she has already lost count of how many helpers she has employed already since her baby was born. And the said baby is only 2 years old!
Good luck to you, and hope you do find that one reliable helper who will stay longer with you.
Thanks for visiting my site!

Wenchie said...

hi kathy,

thanks also for the visit. i really pray & hope i find one soon. it's been 3 days already since my helper left.

Anonymous said...

Ang hirap talaga humanap ng househelp na mapagkakaitwalaan at talagang marunong sa gawaing bahay mas lalo na sa pag-alaga sa bata. Though I also know din ones that are really faithful na parang part na ng family. Sana maka tyempo kayo na ganun

Wenchie said...

hi ferdz,
thanks for visiting this site. you're right, ganyan problems ng mga mommies nowadays, to find a good reliable helper (na rare na yata).

Heart of Rachel said...

The helpers sleep in an air conditioned room? Very lucky indeed.

It's really hard to find efficient and loyal helpers these days. I consider myself very lucky because my yaya since I was a baby is still with me. She did not get married and has been living with us ever since. I treat her like a second mom. We had other helpers in the past, most of them related to my yaya in a certain degree. I like it that way because just in case we have a problem, we can always trace the family in the province. But still helpers come and go because of various reasons. Some find it hard to be separated from family, one wanted to pursue her studies, another wanted to start her own family.

Wenchie said...

rachel, really lucky but they still leave. hu hu hu...

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

it's soooo hard to look for helpers nowadays, meron din sila kanya kanyang requirements which is sometimes impossible, daig pa amo. I believe mga tamad lang yung mga helpers na di nagtatagal sa mababait na amo.

I'm lucky enough that my "angels" have been with me for a long time na. My yaya number 1 14 years na, yaya number 2 8 years na with me. Swerte swerte lang din.

Don't worry makakahanap ka din ng matino, you have a good heart.

Wenchie said...

hi girlie, thanks. hope i really find one (or 2) soon. you're lucky with your "angels". sana ganyan din dumating saken...:-)

Anonymous said...

Our one and only helper has lately developed a bad TV habit. Parang minamadali lahat yung trabaho para mapanood lahat ng teleserye sa hapon starting with Eat Bulaga at lunch time.

I don't mind the TV watching (this is the boondocks so there's not much to entertain herself with and TV is better than gossiping with the neighbors' helpers) so long as work is done.

Mahirap din kasi walang katulong pero kung sa akin gawin yung ganun na inutusan mo na di pa gumalaw eh mabilis pa sa alas kwatro napalayas yun. Mahadera.

Wenchie said...

Hi Connie. Thanks for visiting the site. Am really honored. Do you know that you're the very 1st blogger i've read? And you're always a topic here at home every meal time. Anyway, it's really hard when we get so comfortable with the helpers, they thought they can do all they want at home. Umaabuso talaga sila. Di ko naman mapalayas. I just vent my anger by nagging my kids sometimes.

Anonymous said...

hi rowena, it is really hard to find a good yaya or caretaker. i hope you find a good one who will stay with you for years. tsamba tsambahan lang talaga!

thanks for linking me up. i will do the same.

Wenchie said...

hi belle, as of this writing, I have one helper na. she used to work for me before and went back again when she heard I'm looking for one. thanks for the visit.

soloops said...

That's one thing all of us mommies will have to live with. The thing with helpers is, once they earn a few thousand pesos, they'll go home and say that they want to rest. As if nakakapagod yung maghapon manuod ng tv.Ako, give up na ko, kahit anong bait mo sa kanila, they treat you shabbily pa rin.

Wenchie said...

Hi Kim, yeah, you're right almost all of them are the same. Natawa ko sa comment mo, nakakapagod nga manuod ng tv. he he. Super lucky tayo if we find good, trustworthy, reliable helpers nowadays.